Sunday 7 June 2015

Reaching for the lasers

Hello.

Back from my hols for the time being. I thought it was worthwhile putting anther post together to show you all some of the stuff I have been upto.

Firstly on Sunday 31st May I was in Bideford at the North Devon Model Railway Show once again. This time though I took along some of my bits and bobs to show the folk down there. It was a nice little show and the visitors all were nice and friendly.

I even made it into the local newspaper there!

While I was there I also have the opportunity to spend some time with Maurice and Mike of Osborns Models. It was good to see their newish laser cutter and I was seriously impressed with the quality of the bits they are producing. Of course I couldn't resist buying some...

Some nice little garden sheds.

A small Southern signalbox, it even comes with a name of your choice

Mike also produced a couple of bits for me...

Some little ferns, Cut from green paper they are incredibly well detailed.

Some corridor connections based on a brilliant idea by John Aldrick. These particular connections hopefully will fit the Dapol Collett coaches.

Finally I have maged to get on with some modelling too after catching up on a few other things last week. I couldnt resist trying some of this stuff out...





I think they need toning down a bit. I will do something once the glue has dried.

Julia :o)






5 comments:

  1. That signal box can be bashed into a reasonably good representation of the one at Sturminister Newton. Can't remember what you keep but it wasn't much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, very funny! 3 walls, the roof and then it was cut up to make a signal box based upon Sturminster Newton! I'm definitely a big fan of laser cut timber kits. Am surprised at the lack of them available.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kevin.

    LOL, I know the feeling when you buy something and end up almost scratch building most of it to fit your needs. In my case it doesnt fit anything, I just liked how it looked and the kit looks striaghtforward to make.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those ferns Julia, but I'm not convinced that they need toning down. Ferns, especially in high summer, tend to be rather bright contrasting strongly with the surrounding vegetation. Memories of mountain biking through the ferns in Chicksands Woods (Bedfordshire) come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Paul.

      I know exactly what you mean, especially in sunlight they can be very bright. The problem I have is how they fit into the rest of the layout, especially as the aim is to try and get some muted colours generally so bright things tend to stand out quite a bit. I think the plan is going to add some more (hopefully) and then step back and see how they all fit in with the surrounding landscape.

      J.

      Delete